[notmuch] emacs UI customization

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Fri Dec 4 10:01:17 PST 2009

Hey, Carl et. al.  The recent improvements to the notmuch emacs mode
look great.  I have a couple of suggestions/questions about the UI
that I wanted to put to the group.

Here are some things that I would really like to see:

* in thread view, show read messages as initially collapsed

* show more header info (To:, Date: (with time), etc), or add ability
  to control which headers are displayed

* add blank line between header and body

* customize coloring of fields (in headers, or collapsed
  quotes/signatures/etc)

* customize key bindings

Is it currently possible to easily customize these things (ie. without
modifying the notmuch.el)?  If so, that would be great and I would
love to learn how (my current elisp and emacs customization skills are
pretty weak).  If not, I would like to strongly petition for either
changing these things, or making it possible for users to customize
them themselves.

In general, I think it would be really good to put together some
documentation about all the ways that users can customize the notmuch
interface.  I would be willing to help with that as well.  It would
also be nice to allow for customization about of things that are
currently not that might be controversial.

Thanks so much for the help.

jamie.