[notmuch] Notmuch doesn't index new mails when mail location contains symlinks

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Nov 26 13:14:22 PST 2009

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 19:39:01 +0100, Jed Brown <jed at 59A2.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:34:12 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> > I'm a little confused here. Notmuch only uses stat, so it should be
> > looking at the target's mtime already. It actually takes special effort
> > (via lstat) to get at the mtime of the link itself.
> >
> > So why aren't things just working?
>
> Because mtime doesn't change on the directory *above* the symlinks.
>
> I think.

Then I'm still being really dense here. The non-propagation of mtime is
the with actual directories. And the code is trying to do the right
thing for that.

So I still don't see what's being different with the symlinks. I should
probably stop exposing ignorance here on the list, and just sit down
with symlinks in a mail store and see what's happening.

-Carl