[notmuch] notmuch new: Memory problem

Dominik Epple dominik.epple at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 23 07:30:29 PST 2009

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Here is the information you requested:

2009/11/20 Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org>:
> I'm curious how big your .notmuch directory ended up after this
> operation. (And how that compares in size to the total size of your
> collection of mail.)

I guess you mean these directories:

$ du -sh Maildir
2,8G	Maildir
$ cd Maildir
$ du -sh .notmuch
1,1G	.notmuch

> That's definitely not too much mail. I think you should expect "notmuch
> new" currently to index on the order of 10 - 100 messages/sec.
>
> Your "notmuch new" process should have been reporting a count once per
> second as it progressed, (at least until things went wrong). How far did
> you see that go?

It started quickly, but its speed decreased, and I interrupted it at
some 4000 messages, if I remember correctly.

Regards
Dominik