[notmuch] interesting project!

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sun Nov 22 14:52:01 PST 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:23:10 +0200, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb.bulk at gmail.com> wrote:
> A small question: it seems that notmuch is avoiding the use of GLib directly
> (of course, it depend on it anyway through GMime); is this because of
> OOM-handling? It'd be nice if GLib could be used, it would make some things
> quite a bit easier.

It's true that I don't like the OOM handling in glib. I also think that
glib tries to be too many different things at the same time. And
finally, having some talloc-friendly data structures (like a hash-table)
would be really nice.

In the meantime, as you say, we're already linking with glib because of
GMime, so there's really no reason not to call functions that are there
and that do what we want. What kinds of things were you thinking of that
would be easier with glib?

-Carl