[notmuch] Segfault with weird Message-ID

Mike Hommey mh+notmuch at glandium.org
Sat Nov 21 14:26:15 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:05:56PM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 09:53:37PM +0100, Carl Worth wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:26:25 +0100, Mike Hommey <mh+notmuch at glandium.org> wrote:
> > > - for some reason, xapian doesn't want to add the document corresponding
> > >   to this old spam message: notmuch->xapian_db->add_document throws an
> > >   exception.
> > 
> > I think things had just gone wrong long before then.
> I *did* see it throwing an exception from there. The sad thing is that I
> can't reproduce the problem anymore :-/
> > > I can provide the spam if necessary, or can continue debugging the issue
> > > with some guidance.
> > 
> > Thanks for providing it. It turns out that the giant Message-Id value
> > wasn't causing the problem. Instead the message was corrupt by having a
> > stray new line at the third line. (So GMime is seeing only the first two
> > lines of headers). We *used* to have working code to detect this kind of
> > file as "not an email" but again, this broke when we changed
> > notmuch_message_get_header to return "" instead of NULL for missing
> > headers.
> Interestingly, when I first traced on what message the crash was
> happening, I did see notmuch having the message-id in the message_id
> variable.

I just was able to reproduce after starting over.

header isn't "", and message_id is correctly filled. I can also confirm
the exception is thrown from notmuch->xapian_db->add_document.

> FWIW, that was using c05c3f1.

With 3ae12b1, I get the following output:
Error: A Xapian exception occurred. Halting processing.

But I confirm there is no crash, now.



More information about the notmuch mailing list