[notmuch] Asynchronous tagging

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sat Nov 21 13:04:50 PST 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:50:10 +0100, Jan Janak <jan at ryngle.com> wrote:
> I get errors about missing files too. There are several reasons why
> that can happen:
>
>  1) A message is moved from one folder to another in other mail
> clients that work with the Maildir spool.

Not a problem in my case because I currently have everything in one big
maildir (100k in one directory is a lot, but not too painful at 0.3s for
ls and 2s to stat everything).

>  2) A client changes the flags on a message, for example, when you
> read a message or mark it as deleted. Maildir stores flags in
> filenames.

This seems like a problem.  I'm not familiar with xapian, is it
necessarily an expensive operation to correct these inconsistencies?
Matching by thread id ought to be cheap.

>  3) Message flags are updated on the IMAP server (for example when you
> mark a message as read in gmail). Offlineimap keeps message flags
> synchronized.  If you mark a local message as read then the change is
> propagated to the IMAP server and vice versa.

Do you know if Offlineimap (or some similar tool) can be told not to
bother keeping flags synchronized?

Jed