[notmuch] Greetings and suggestions

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Nov 21 11:47:52 PST 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:08:42 -0500, Brett Viren <brett.viren at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently heard about notmuch from a reddit.com posting.  Immediately
> I knew I needed to try it.

Hi Brett, welcome to Notmuch!

> I've been a long time GNUS user and with VM before that.  GNUS is
> great but I have never been very successful getting it to play well
> with an indexer.

Excellent. It's great to have a long-time GNUS user here. I really
wanted to poke around in GNUS for ideas, (and code), but have so far
entirely failed to even _run_ in to view any email messages. I'm clearly
not smart enough to be a GNUS user.

But I know that if I *could* run it, I'd see lots of great stuff in
it. And integrating nicely would be great. (The emacs code we have for
notmuch is already integrating with the message-mode stuff from GNUS).

> So far, after a little playing with notmuch I think it looks very
> good!

Thanks so much.

>  - posting styles (ie, set From: to non standard value) based on
> search pattern.  This is really important when one subscribes to
> different mailing lists using different addresses and the ML only
> allows mail from registered addresses.

Yes. That's a good idea. We already set From: based on how a message
being replied-to was addressed, but not yet based on the new To:
address.

>  - apply tags based on search pattern as new mail is processed.  This
> would be like GNUS split-rules, but even better as one can place more
> than one tag.

This is definitely on the feature list and is something we'll be
implementing soon. In the meantime, those of us that are using notmuch
in earnest are using shell scripts to load our mail like this:

	notmuch new
	notmuch tag +notmuch to:notmuchmail.org and not tag:notmuch

But just moving that configuration to the configuration file will be a
lot better.

> Anyways, great project and I look forward to contributing where I can.

Thanks Brett,

I'll look forward to any contributions from you.

-Carl