difficulties with notmuch2 python bindings for alot

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Sun Jun 14 12:53:57 PDT 2020

Hi Daniel,

On Tue 09 Jun 2020 at 09:19 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I see over on github that alot is trying to port to the notmuch2
> bindings, and having a few problems with it:
>
>  https://github.com/pazz/alot/pull/1511
>
> alot is an important consumer of the notmuch python bindings, and it
> would be really great to see them successfully transition to the
> notmuch2 module.
>
> Floris, if you (or anyone else with this particular knowledge) has a
> chance to take a look and help them sort out the remaining issues, that
> would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the pointer, I've pinged the issue offering help with the
bindings and had a look through the existing things they discussed.

One thing that they encountered and don't yet understand is that they
reported issues with leaking filedescriptors.  They used the bindings in
a way where I expect it to only call notmuch_database_destroy() when
they are done with it.  From reading notmuch.h I think that's correct
and there's no need to call notmuch_database_close() first.  Yet someone
reported that explicitly calling close helped.  Is the assumption I made
of only calling destroy correct?

Cheers,
Floris