Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly?

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Mon May 25 14:25:42 PDT 2020

On Sun 24 May 2020 at 16:29 -0300, David Bremner wrote:

> Ralph Seichter <abbot at monksofcool.net> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> having examined the source code, I assume that Notmuch's Python bindings
>> should support Python 3.x for any given 'x'. However, reading the Travis
>> logs at https://travis-ci.org/notmuch/notmuch and .travis.yml, the CI
>> tests apparently run on Ubuntu 18.04 and use only Python 3.6.
>>
>> While I hope there won't be any problems with Python 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9,
>> I wanted to ask here first if anybody has tested this yet?
>
> the old (modulename = notmuch) bindings actually do have memory
> management issues with python > 3.6 (maybe also with 3.6). The new
> bindings (modulename= notmuch2) should work with any python recent
> 3.x.

In tox.ini the earliest version is 3.5 and if memory serves me right
there's a reasonably good reason for that.  I think the notmuch2
bindings use some features not yet present in 3.4.  But anything >= 3.5
should be supported and if not a bug.  I guess tox.ini should be updated
with 3.8 sometime :)

Cheers,
Floris