notmuch and mailing lists

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Sat May 2 13:52:57 PDT 2020

Sean Whitton <spwhitton at spwhitton.name> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering whether anyone who previously read mailing lists via
> NNTP has stopped doing this after starting to use notmuch.

Fwiw, I have some slrn spool to Maildir translators here which should
work with notmuch:

Perl: https://yhbt.net/public-inbox.git/tree/scripts/slrnspool2maildir
(It still uses the Email::* namespace, which I'm slowly getting
 rid of in public-inbox due to performance and inactive upstream...)

Ruby: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20190104013522.stng6gwauwnr6wbi@starla/
(doesn't do any header rewriting)

> I've not yet used NNTP to read mailing lists myself, but I think there
> are limitations to the way I currently read lists, and was wondering
> whether it is worth exploring the NNTP approach, or trying to come up
> with notmuch-based workflow improvements.

Not directly related to notmuch:

I'm planning on expanding public-inbox to include a local client
tool which can index, search, and optionally cache NNTP and HTTP
messages from any NNTP and public-inbox HTTP instances.  Maybe
IMAP, too...