Inconsistencies in handling command flags: `--flag=value` different than `--flag value`

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Apr 30 09:59:48 PDT 2020

On Wed 2020-04-29 08:33:24 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28 2020, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>> One final way we could normalize everything and make it less
>> idiosyncratic, with shorter, simpler man pages: deprecate and then drop
>> the --booloption/--no-booloption mechanisms, requiring --booloption=true
>> or --booloption=false instead.  Once they're dropped, allow whitespace
>> between "--booloption true" and "--booloption false" just like every
>> other type of option.
>
> Or we could just use only --booloption/--no-booloption...

I'd be sad about that, because it seems like a pretty idiosyncratic
thing to have options of a certain type behave so differently from
others.

we've seen boolean options turn into non-boolean options in the past,
and changing the syntax of how they're invoked when that happens feels
ugly (though i guess this is at least in part an aesthetic preference).

            --dkg