performance problems with notmuch new

Don Zickus dzickus at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 12:05:26 PDT 2020

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 07:36:23AM -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> Don Zickus <dzickus at redhat.com> writes:
>

> > The only thing I can think of is my fstrim service runs 1x / week on Monday
> > at midnight and maybe that helped clean things up??  Perhaps I should
> > increase that frequency or run it manually when things go bad.
> >

> Is notmuch new still slow on your mail store, or did that mysteriously
> improve as well?

It improved slightly.  Perhaps my expectations are too high.  After about a
1000, the speed slows down significantly.  Outside of the performance
testing, after about 1000 emails, the processing slows down to about
10/second.

Of course I am using this in a strange context.  I am deleting emails
locally and then running 'notmuch new' to clean up the database.

notmuch search --output=files <filter> |xargs -l rm
notmuch new

and sometimes I delete a couple thousand emails from my mailing list folder
in neomutt and while exiting the folder it takes a long while to sync up
with notmuch.

So maybe my use case is unusual and the slowness is expected.

Cheers,
Don