Inconsistencies in handling command flags: `--flag=value` different than `--flag value`

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 05:53:58 PDT 2020

[Again sorry for double reporting.  BTW, where should I search for
previous bugs?  I've currently tried the mailing list archive.]

Trying to play with `notmuch` from a wrapper, I've stumbled upon the
following command line flags handling bug:

~~~~
notmuch show --format json --entire-thread true --body false --
'ciprian at volution.ro'
notmuch show --format json --entire-thread true --body=false --
'ciprian at volution.ro'
#=> yields nothing

notmuch show --format json --entire-thread=true --body false --
'ciprian at volution.ro'
#=> yields some emails

notmuch show --format json --entire-thread=true --body=false --
'ciprian at volution.ro'
#=> yields lots of emails
~~~~

I would expect that `--flag value` and `--flag=value` are equivalent,
at least for the options that the manual states `--flag=(true|false)`.

However based on the previous experiments it seems that using anything
except `--flag=value` yields inconsistent results.

Hope it helps,
Ciprian.