easy (?) elisp project for notmuch [it's mostly DONE]

Kyle Meyer kyle at kyleam.com
Wed Apr 15 15:01:19 PDT 2020

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas at bernoul.li> writes:

> Nice to run into you.

You too :)

> Do you contribute to *all* the killer apps? ;D

Heh.  I think notmuch is great, but I haven't made any real
contributions.  Just a happy user and a lurker on the mailing list.

> Kyle Meyer <kyle at kyleam.com> writes:

>> From there, you can easily download an mbox for a message or thread
>> from before you subscribed (e.g. to feed to 'notmuch insert').
>
> Do you already have some tooling that you could share?

Only very minimal.  I have a script that takes a public-inbox thread
mbox link, such as

  https://public-inbox.org/meta/20200406095621.5656-1-e@yhbt.net/t.mbox.gz

It uses mbox2maildir from Sean's mailscripts to convert the mbox to a
maildir and then calls 'notmuch insert' with each message.  There might
be a better approach, but it's been working fine for me.  My main use
case is that I follow some lists hosted on public-inbox.org and
lore.kernel.org via nntp; if I want to reply to something, I import a
thread into notmuch.

Note that it hard codes my folder.

#!/bin/sh

if test  $# -ne 1
then
    echo "$0 <mbox.gz URL>"
    exit 1
fi

cd "$(mktemp -d ${TMPDIR:-/tmp}/notmuch-import-XXXXXXX)"
curl -fsS $1 | gunzip -c >t.mbox
mbox2maildir t.mbox mdir
for f in $(find mdir -type f)
do
    notmuch insert --no-hooks --folder=kyleam/INBOX <$f
done

As a side note about tooling: David mentioned Sean's mailscripts in the
context of debbugs.  I haven't used that specific functionality yet, but
it has other scripts that are really nice for working with patch series.
mailscripts even gained some functionality for extracting a patch series
from an mbox that was inspired [^1] by Konstantin Ryabitsev's
get-lore-mbox.py [^2] tool for grabbing patch series from threads on
lore.kernel.org, which uses public-inbox.

All very exciting :)

[^1]: https://lore.kernel.org/workflows/87lfp38p7s.fsf@iris.silentflame.com/
[^2]: I think this tool was renamed recently, but I can't find that
      information at the moment.

> Kyle, have you considered mirroring emacs-devel and the Emacs debbugs
> as well?

I have... I dunno :/  The two higher-volume projects that I'm
considering creating public-inbox archives for are Emacs (devel and
debbugs) and Guix (patches, bugs, devel, user, ... they sure do like to
split up discussion ...).  It takes some work up front to create the
initial archives, but my main hesitation is due to uncertainty about how
my current VPS set up would fare.  So, I'm letting things settle a bit.