performance problems with notmuch new

Don Zickus dzickus at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 08:08:01 PDT 2020

Hi,

I have noticed my 'notmuch new' command seems awfully slow, maybe 10-20
emails / second on large batches.  It goes quick for the first few hundred
(maybe close to 100/second), then quickly slows down to about 10/second
after processing the first 500 or so.

I am guessing that isn't an expected behaviour.  So I am trying to figure
out a good way to analyze and debug this?  This could be a problem with my
fedora distro or laptop.  I just don't know where to look.

Tips for debugging this?

I ran the notmuch performance/time-test, but after 15 minutes of waiting for
the initial notmuch new to finish, I gave up and aborted.

I am using 'glass' for my xapian storage if that helps.

Help?

Cheers,
Don