notmuch-mode: Emails with PDF attachments incorrectly tagged as text/plain expose a few issues

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Mon Apr 6 10:17:27 PDT 2020

Leo Gaspard <leo at gaspard.io> writes:

> David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:
>
>> Leo Gaspard <leo at gaspard.io> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have recently started conversing with someone whose email client
>>> incorrectly tags PDF attachments as text/plain.
>>>

>> Hi Leo;
>>
>> As I mentioned on IRC, we most likely need a reproducer message before
>> making any progress on this. Maybe you can ask your correspondent to
>> send you a shareable message, then sanitize the addesses in the headers.
>
> So, I've just been able to re-create at least the “freeze on reply” isue
> with the email attached. The image doesn't get corrupted when saving,
> though, so I'm not sure it'll be enough to fix both issues, but
> hopefully fixing this one would fix the other one too.
>
> If you try to notmuch-show on the attached email, then hit `r`, you
> should notice the image being included verbatim in the text/plain
> output, and when hitting C-c C-c it should start freezing emacs.
>
> Hope that helps!
>   Leo

Probably the rest of the list hasn't seen the message yet, but I did try
it out. It doesn't actually hang emacs for me (C-g enough times gets me
back). I agree that inserting binary data into the buffer is probably
not a great idea.  I'm not sure offhand how notmuch should detect
mislabeled parts. Perhaps it should just refuse to insert large parts as
reply text.