Bug: ol-notmuch.el: calls `notmuch-show' with arbitrary search query

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Sun Dec 1 13:01:30 PST 2019

On Friday, 2019-11-29 at 13:01:00 -07, Sean Whitton wrote:

> On Wed 27 Nov 2019 at 08:52PM +00, David Edmondson wrote:
>> It's a lot to ask, I know, but if you could provide a specific set of
>> messages with a corresponding initial query that fails for you after
>> limiting using your function, it would be helpful.
>
> You should be able to download an mbox of the thread I was using for
> testing here:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=945195;mbox=yes
>
> The Org-mode link I was using to open the thread is
> [[notmuch:id:20191125214551.31596-1-dkg at fifthhorseman.net][dkg's v2 for S/MIME decryption]]

This works exactly as I would expect with the patch I previously sent.

I downloaded the messages, added them to my corpus and remove the inbox
and unread tags.

Then, if I execute:

  (notmuch-show “thread:{id:20191125214551.31596-1-dkg at fifthhorseman.net}”)

and use your function the list of messages open is limited as I
expected.

“As I expected” means that if I pass no prefix, all of the messages that
include patches are open. With a prefix argument of “1”, only the first
set of patches are open. With a prefix argument of “2”, only the v2
patches are open.

Did I misunderstand the behaviour that you expect?

> Please excuse me for not preparing more formal steps to reproduce --
> since I consider the bug to be in ol-notmuch.el and my fix to that file
> prevents this bug from showing up, I am not really willing to invest a
> lot of time in preparing a different sort of fix.

Understood. My interest is in improving notmuch generally.

dme.
--
No proper time of day.