Bug: ol-notmuch.el: calls `notmuch-show' with arbitrary search query

Sean Whitton spwhitton at spwhitton.name
Tue Nov 26 15:25:29 PST 2019

Hello David,

Thank you for the investigation.

On Tue 26 Nov 2019 at 10:52PM +00, David Edmondson wrote:

> The poor behaviour is just a side effect of the way that queries are
> composed to implement the filter functionality. Does the attached patch
> help?

Unfortunately, it is still broken in my test case.

>> Further, my package 'mailscripts' tries to pass the current value of
>> `notmuch-show-thread-id' to notmuch-extract-patch(1).
>>
>>     https://git.spwhitton.name/mailscripts/tree/mailscripts.el#n72
>>
>>     https://manpages.debian.org/notmuch-extract-patch
>>
>> If `notmuch-show-thread-id' contains a query which returns a single
>> message, the wrong value is passed to notmuch-extract-patch(1), such
>> that it may not extract all of the patches in the thread.
>
> It's not clear to me that this is broken.
>
> notmuch-extract-patch seems to be properly extracting patches from the
> messages that match the query.
>
> If the current `notmuch-show' buffer query doesn't match the entire
> thread, why should `notmuch-extract-thread-patches' be expected to apply
> patches from the whole thread?

The purpose of `notmuch-extract-thread-patches' is to extract a whole
git-send-email(1) patch series at a time, because that is usually what
one wants to do.  There are `notmuch-extract-message-patches' and
`notmuch-show-pipe-message' for single patches.

(I note that this is a mailscripts design question, not strictly
relevant to the issue of ol-notmuch.el causing the
notmuch-show-thread-id variable to be mispopulated.  Thank you for your
engagement with mailscripts, regardless!)

--
Sean Whitton