Tests failing on master

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sun Nov 17 04:43:55 PST 2019

Johan Parin <johanparin at gmail.com> writes:

>> In order to be able to run some tests and since OS X Mojave only has
>> bash 3.2, I installed a Kali vm, downloaded a fresh notmuch repo,
>> installed the dependencies and did make test. Result:
>>
>> 1123/1128 tests passed.
>> 3 broken tests failed as expected.
>> 2 tests failed.
>>

> I tried on another machine running Ubuntu Server 18.04.3, and there all
> 1128 tests minus the broken ones passed.
>
> Could the failures on Kali be related to me running as root?

Yes, being root would break some of the tests, e.g. those that rely on
removing permissions to generate an error. Probably we should just
document that running the test suite as root is not supported? If
someone can explain a good reason to run as root (maybe some odd
auto-builder, the tests in question could probably be modified to do
something more extreme (e.g. delete a file) rather than chmod.

cheers,