wish: notmuch-emacs: handle RFC822 attachments as email (allow for replying)

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Wed Nov 13 01:44:41 PST 2019

On Wednesday, 2019-11-13 at 09:42:26 +01, Gregor Zattler wrote:

> Dear notmuch developers,
>
> notmuch-emacs shows rfc822 attachments as emails which is nice,
> but with point in such attachment it is not possible to act on it
> as an email as for instance reply to it.
>
> It would be nice if replying and forwarding such
> email-as-attachment would be possible.
>

> As a mailing list owner I get emails from mailman if mails are
> for some reason to be approved before distribution.  They contain
> two rfc822 Attachments: The original email which is to be
> approved and a second email to which I am could reply in order to
> delete or approve said message.  This is an incredibly useful
> interface to mailman since it does not involve a context switch.
> You read the mailinglist and act on emails, that's it.  Sadly
> with notmoch-show this is not possible (as for instance is with
> mutt).

Two approaches to this occur to me:

1. extract the attachment, add it to the database and use normal reply
   processing (maybe remember to remove the message from the database
   after?),
2. hack something just in the emacs UI to generate a reply to the part.

The second is probably quicker to implement, but will side-step a bunch
of normal notmuch processing of the reply (whether this is important or
not I'm unsure).

The first seems “right”, but is perhaps invasive?

dme.
--
I'm not living in the real world, no more, no more.