notmuch-mua-send + msmtp IS sending perfectly... but Emacs says it failed! Why?!

Tomas Nordin tomasn at posteo.net
Sat Oct 26 10:00:20 PDT 2019

Hello Aren

Aren Tyr <aren.tyr at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all
>
> I have setup mbsync to receive my e-mail, msmtp to send my mail, and use
> notmuch + emacs to read/compose my mail. I have the msmtp-mta package also
> installed, so that msmtp acts as a sendmail replacement. I have a bizarre
> problem, however, which despite my searching I cannot find an answer to.
>
> Every time I send a message (via notmuch-mua-send) from within Emacs, the
> message apparently 'fails', and I get this error message:

I also have msmtp and here is my set of .emacs configs

  (setq sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp")
  (setq mail-specify-envelope-from t)
  (setq message-sendmail-envelope-from 'header)
  (setq mail-envelope-from 'header)
  (setq send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)

There is a line for it in my .mailrc:

  set sendmail="/usr/bin/msmtp"

I /think/ that's all I have about the sending of mails and it works
fine. (plus the msmtp configs of course).

Best regards
--
Tomas