explain the json hierarchy format

meOme jan-adams at gmx.de
Wed Jul 3 04:51:21 PDT 2019

Hi!
Can anyone explain the resulting json format to me?
I have a typical respone from
notmuch show --format=json thread:xxxxxxxxx
and i don't really understand the meaning of the hierarchy.

[ what is this list?
  [ list of mails?
    [ what is this list?
      { a mail with id .... comes here
        "id": "000c01d4a6be$4db01750$e91045f0$@freenet.de",
      },
      [] what is this list? List of responses to the mail above?
    ],
    [
      { the next mail in that thread, that is not a response to a mail above
(otherwise it would go into the list of responses)?
        "id": "000001d4b0ab$08665f50$19331df0$@freenet.de",
      },
      []
    ],
    [
      {
        "id": "op.zu28t9ejlth65q at localhost",
      },
      [
        [
          { here we have a response to the mail above?
            "id": "000001d4a44f$dd619ac0$9824d040$@freenet.de",
          },
          []
        ]
      ]
    ]
  ]
]

More questions:
- Where to finde the newest mail in the thread?
- May the same mail be in a response field and also in an "own" field in the
list of mails?

Thanks!

--
Sent from: http://notmuch.198994.n3.nabble.com/