notmuch ignoring alot of emails

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Sun Jun 30 10:29:24 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jun 28 2019, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On 2019-Jun-28, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> I think a real solution is to parse the message header, look for the
>> Content-Length, and determine mbox-ness by looking for "From" only past
>> that many bytes; that seems to match what other mail parsing tools do.
>
> Sorry, I misspoke: there's no such thing as Content-Length.
> It's Content-Type/boundary that needs to be watched for.  Only consider
> that the file is an mbox if a "^From " line appears after the boundary
> end marker (which seems to be defined as "the boundary string followed
> by two dashes --").

Just checking line starting with 'From ' would be pretty naïve since
>From may be first word in any line in text body.

If we'd have to do content scanning then at least empty line before
Date: a date
From: someone

(and then empty line... ;)

all this checkin would be required and still it could fail (perhaps
this content get modified in the fly, but then signature check, if
this mail had one, could fail...)

If there is header that tells the length of the body, then things
could be easier...

Tomi