[FEATURE] indexing arbitrary headers

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu May 30 13:27:15 PDT 2019

On Sat 2017-06-03 13:28:46 -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> Łukasz Stelmach <l.stelmach at samsung.com> writes:
>
>> I'd like to ask for a new feature: indexing of arbitrary headers. Not
>> all headers but a few selected by users.
>>
>> For example, I get a lot of mails from a Gerrit system. I'd like to keep
>> them for a while and remove them when they are old enough. Although
>> these messages are distinguishable in my inbox, they've got subjects
>> like "Change in ..." and are from "nobody". But these may happen in
>> other e-mails too. The only 100% sure way to distringuish those e-mails
>> is to look for headers Gerrit adds.
>>

> Thanks for writing this up. Similar requests have been around for a
> while, but it's good to have a note in nmbug.
>
> There are two main blockers I'm aware of (other than someone writing and
> reviewing the code).
>
> 1) We need to index all copies of a message (e.g. using
>    something like the series at  id:20170507124012.30188-2-david at tethera.net)
>
> 2) we need to decide what happens when someone changes the list of
>    indexed headers.

I just wanted to point out that this specific request has now been added
to notmuch, thanks to David Bremner!  It will hopefully be part of the
forthcoming 0.29 release:

NEWS currently says:

    Add support for indexing user specified headers (e.g. List-Id). See
    notmuch-config(1) for details. This requires reindexing after changing
    the set of headers to be indexed.

Bremner, i'm not sure how/when you want to clear the notmuch::wishlist
tag on the OP here, but it's nice to be able to reduce the stack listed
at https://nmbug.notmuchmail.org/status/#Wish-list

   --dkg