Using Xapian synonyms with notmuch

Xu Wang xuwang762 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 23:10:38 PDT 2019

I have some contacts who go by several names (mostly people who use
their native name in addition to sometimes using a name easier to
pronounce for others; but also some secret agents). I often want to do
something like "from:James" and where notmuch gives me back results
with emails from "James", "Jimmy" and from "Jaime".

I have done searching and found some relevant threads:

https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2013/015571.html
https://xapian.org/docs/synonyms.html
https://getting-started-with-xapian.readthedocs.io/en/latest/howtos/synonyms.html

However, they are very technical for me. It is not possible to just
put something in .notmuch-config that specifies synonyms so that
notmuch will build the Xapian database with those aliases?

By the way, I don't know Xapian at all or how to call it manually. I
have very simple .notmuch-config and I don't have any deep
understanding or programming experience.

Kind regards,

Xu