Unexpected output of "notmuch new --quiet"

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Apr 19 09:02:24 PDT 2019

On Fri 2019-04-19 15:55:27 +0200, Ralph Seichter wrote:
> * Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
>
>> Why is "non-mail file found" in my maildir such a low priority?
>
> Because I do not agree with Notmuch's notion of what a non-mail file
> is. All files the Dovecot server uses for its own metadata are placed
> outside of "cur", "new", and "tmp".
>
> My understanding of the Maildir structure is that only these three
> subfolders in a given directory may contain mail files, so I expect
> Notmuch, as a default behaviour, to ignore whatever is stored outside
> of these subfolders.

Hm, notmuch supports trees of maildirs as well, and nested maildirs,
none of which are part of the maildir spec aiui.

Also, as far as maildir goes, i think notmuch probably *shouldn't* be
looking at stuff in …/tmp/ -- right?  otherwise it's liable to
occasionally access some half-written files.

I've personally done the (maybe bad) thing where i just drop a folder
full of RFC5322 .eml files anywhere inside my message store and run
"notmuch new" to ingest them.  I'd be sad if those files went away, but
perhaps you're right that we should only be looking at are things within
any cur/ and new/ subfolders within the message archive.

That'd be an easy fix if there was no deployed base to worry about.  Any
thoughts about how to make such a transition safe for existing users
like me?

    --dkg