Unexpected output of "notmuch new --quiet"

Ralph Seichter abbot at monksofcool.net
Wed Apr 17 13:38:27 PDT 2019

Hi folks,

I can't help but wonder why text like

  Note: Ignoring non-mail file: /home/foo/.maildir/.private/dovecot-uidlist
  Note: Ignoring non-mail file: /home/foo/.maildir/.work/dovecot.index.log
  0022

is written when I run "notmuch new --quiet"?

Only error conditions should be reported to stderr, so why are lines 1
and 2 written to stderr? Notes are not errors. Also, why is line #3,
which represents the current umask value, written to stdout?

I'm aware that the man page states "--quiet: Do not print progress or
results.", but the output shown above is still unexpected. Perhaps
somebody here can enlighten me. ;-)

-Ralph