notmuch-tag-jump for multiple threads

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Fri Apr 5 17:46:26 PDT 2019

Sebastian Poeplau <sebastian.poeplau at eurecom.fr> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering which workflow people use for this situation that comes up
> frequently for me: I have a search that gives me a bunch of threads, say
> new messages from a mailing list, and then I go over them, possibly
> reading some threads in detail and skipping over others. Afterwards, I
> would like to apply some tag changes to all threads, like "-unread" or
> "+archived". So far, the two ways I've found to do so in the search view
> are '*' (`notmuch-search-tag-all') and typing the tag change in the
> completing read, or marking the entire buffer followed by 'k'
> (`notmuch-tag-jump') and the shortcut for my change. It feels as if
> something like 'K' would be nice, offering the same jump menu like 'k'
> but applying the change to all displayed messages.
>
> What is your take? Do you ever encounter the same situation? I would
> give the implementation a try but wanted to make sure first that I'm not
> missing anything.

I tend to use '*' for those situations, but that might be because
tag-jump was added later. Your proposal sounds ok, as long as it re-uses
most of the tag-jump code.

On a semi-related note I sometimes miss the
ability to mark a set of non-contiguous threads / messages for action
(like 'm' in dired).