[RFC] writing HTML email with notmuch

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Feb 25 15:15:21 PST 2019

On Mon 2019-02-25 18:01:55 -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> I seem to have forgotten to CC the list in my reply, sorry for the
> noise.
>
> I elided the attachment here because I sent a newer version in
> 87r2bvjx02.fsf at curie.anarc.at.

thanks!

> On 2019-02-25 17:11:26, Antoine Beaupr wrote:

Interesting, your MUA is relying on the default charset=iso-8859-1
(latin-1) or is it charset=iso-8859-15 (latin-7)?

it's sending me octal 0o351 as the last letter of your last name, which
my notmuch-emacs renders as a raw octet ("Beaupr\351"), maybe because
i'm in a UTF-8 locale?

wtf, why are we still failing at this in 2019, with updated MUAs?  i
guess it might be my own fault for having this line in my
custom-set-variables in ~/.emacs:

'(message-default-charset (quote utf-8))

but the docs for message-default-charset say:

  This variable is obsolete since 26.1;
  The default charset comes from the language environment

shouldn't emacs mml mode explicitly mark the charset in the Content-Type
header when generating a text/plain part no matter what?

grumpily,

     --dkg