merge broken mail threads

Nicolas Bock nicolasbock at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 13:19:02 PST 2019

On Wed, Jan 23 2019, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On Wed 2019-01-23 08:29:05 -0700, Nicolas Bock wrote:
>
>> Sometimes during a lengthy discussion someone inadvertently
>> breaks  the email thread because their mail client doesn't get
>> it. Is  there a way to merge the two fragmented threads again
>> with  notmuch?
>
> there's a manual way to do it as a janky workaround:
>
>  * create a bogus e-mail message that References: a message-id
>  from each
>    split faction.
>
>  * inject that message into your notmuch message store
>
>  * delete that message

Nice trick :) Would this also work if I modified the reference of
the first email that breaks the thread to point to the email it is
quoting? I would have to get notmuch to re-read that email though
to update the database. But this approach would not involve first
creating a fake message and then deleting it again :)