emacs slow with large threads

Emilio Francesquini francesquini at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 10:35:16 PST 2019

You are absolutely right. It does become buffer local. Yet setting it to
nil changes the behavior of new windows on notmuch-show-mode. I'm at a
loss why... :) Maybe because I set it inside my .emacs? I need to study
a bit more of elisp...

Anyway, my previous message was actually incomplete. This change alone
accounted only for a marginal improvement in performance. I restored my
old .emacs from git and realized that the real culprit was fci-mode (
fill-column-indicator package) *even if it was not enabled on the
message buffer*. Removing the package did the trick. For a thread with
~70 messages it took ~20 seconds against less than 1 without the package.