Pointer ownership

Dirk Van Haerenborgh vhdirk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 23:42:59 PST 2018

Hi all,

I'm the main author for these notmuch rust bindings:
https://github.com/vhdirk/notmuch-rs
In making these bindings safe, it's very important to understand when
memory is reclaimed by notmuch (and when not). And I'm having a hard time
deducing that from the documentation. I've built a couple of c test
routines, but I'm getting none the wiser from that.

For instance, when iterating messages from a thread: Can one still use a
notmuch_message_t* when the thread is destroyed? Are the individual
messages 'owned' by the thread, or only by the query? Same question for