segfault using python bindings

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Fri Nov 16 16:15:33 PST 2018

Floris Bruynooghe <flub at devork.be> writes:

>> As I mentioned last time this was discussed, the python bindings are
>> currently more or less a core part of notmuch as both the test
>> suite and developement need them.
>
> Sure, I think pypi publishing is orthogonal to this however.  Either or
> both versions of the bindings could be published on pypi in addition to
> being in the main repo.  As Brian mentions it would improve
> discoverability and improves integration on the python side.  There's
> even tooling to bundle the library these days with the manylinux1
> wheels.  So there's no need to stop anyone who'd like to do this.

Well, I agree with all that (and did in the previous thread too). But
the context was Florian's idea of publishing on pypi instead of/before
integrating with notmuch. That's of course his right to do, but my main
(selfish) interest is in having python bindings shipping with notmuch
that work properly with recent python3. I guess even having a separate
set of incompatible python3 only bindings would be better than the
current situation. We could just ship the two bindings in parallel,
deprecate the python2 bindings, and give people a year or so to
transition.