segfault using python bindings

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Fri Nov 16 14:07:23 PST 2018

On Fri 16 Nov 2018 at 07:15 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On Fri 2018-11-16 06:27:12 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
>> Floris Bruynooghe <flub at devork.be> writes:
>>
>>> These are at https://github.com/flub/notmuch/tree/cffi/bindings/python-cffi
>>>
>>> I'm not really convinced of the way forward last time it was discussed
>>> on how to get them merged into notmuch itself so have failed to put in
>>> the not insignificant effort.
>>>
>>> I've since wondered if just getting them standalone on pypi is perhaps a
>>> useful service in the mean time as it's relatively little effort.  And
>>> if there eventually is a desire again to get them merged in some way
>>> that could still be done.
>>
>> What effort are you referring to specifically? Integration with the
>> notmuch test suite?
>
> My recollection is that the main question was about supporting the old
> python interface with the new bindings, so that consumers would have a
> smooth upgrade path.  Is that not right?

That's indeed what I was referring to, integration with the test suite
is fine as was discussed last time imho.

> Floris, i really appreciate the work you put in here, and i'd love to
> see notmuch be able to adopt it directly.   can we figure out what is
> needed to take these changes?

Thanks.  I think mainly when the technical approach was discussed [0] no
actual users of the current Python API weighed in with if they'd be
interested in a migration of the API and if so, how it might work for
them.  So while the gradual approach described there is technically
somewhat nice I have no idea if anyone would benefit from it, or whether
the benefits outweigh all the work involved.

As I was recently thinking however, maybe there's nothing wrong with new
bindings being published as a 3rd party package on pypi.  It'd make it
more discoverable and if people start to adopt it maybe there'd be more
demand for integrating it back with more clarity over how smooth a
transition path needs to be.

Also lastly an apology.  I could have done more to move this forward,
but I simply haven't found^Wmade the time for it.

Cheers,
Floris

[0] id:py3imv2cjp28.fsf at devork.be