segfault using python bindings

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Thu Nov 15 13:13:17 PST 2018

Hi,

On Sun 11 Nov 2018 at 16:16 -0400, David Bremner wrote:

> David Čepelík <d at dcepelik.cz> writes:
>
>> Hello Notmuch devs,
>>
>> I'm facing an issue trying to use the Python bindings. This trivial
>> piece of code segfaults:
>>
>>     import notmuch
>
> I don't remember the details [1], but there are known conflicts between
> recent versions of python3 and the way the notmuch python bindings
> manage memory. So it could be that. There was also an initiative to
> rewrite at (python3 only?) version of the bindings that did not have
> this problem. I haven't heard much about that recently.

These are at https://github.com/flub/notmuch/tree/cffi/bindings/python-cffi

I'm not really convinced of the way forward last time it was discussed
on how to get them merged into notmuch itself so have failed to put in
the not insignificant effort.

I've since wondered if just getting them standalone on pypi is perhaps a
useful service in the mean time as it's relatively little effort.  And
if there eventually is a desire again to get them merged in some way
that could still be done.

Cheers,
Floris