notcoal, filters not made from (char)coal / initial tagging system

Kim ALLAMANDOLA kim-nmml at kfx.fr
Mon Nov 12 05:29:53 PST 2018

Hi,
being a new notmuch user (using it since around an year) I have a small,
obscenely written, badly shaped, mixed language collection of homegrown
scripts to automate my message handling / mail-based workflow.

Most part are zsh wrappers to autotag (autorefile for now is done by
IMAPFilter) and support manual delete/refile messages, a small part in
an initial state is automation in the sense of extracting mime
attachments (via uudeview) like periodic invoices and properly archive,
renaming attachments etc in a personal docs taxonomy so having a more
well-shaped and ready out-of-the box solution is really welcomed!

The only part I do not like too much is the choice of json instead of
something, *for me*, less ugly to write/read, less error-prone and more
flexible like simple plain guile (GNU embeddable, lightweight scheme
dialect).

The re-write of notmuch in Rust, well... it's outside my scope since I
use it as a "final product", I'm in general favourable to ditch "myths"
like C and C++ and Java, ... for more comfortable languages but for me
nor Rust nor Go really fell in that category, IMO the best paths is
rediscover lisp/scheme languages even if I know that in some cases are
harder to use (while far easier in other) however as said before I'm
only a user so I have to thanks all notmuch and notmuch-related devs
for their wonderful works, I'll try Rust port anyway :-)

-- Kim