How do you sync your mail constantly?

Vika Shleina kisik21 at fireburn.ru
Thu Nov 1 01:49:47 PDT 2018

Hello list! I encountered a bit of an UX issue, I think. How do you
synchronize mail constantly and index it with notmuch?

My current setup is mbsync in pre-hook, then post hook: alot + alot
move-mode + mbsync + notifymuch. All of this is run manually. The thing
is - I need to sync all folders since I move mails (so my INBOX would
not get clogged by mailing list messages when I'm viewing it on mobile).
Probably INBOX can be put on IMAP PUSH, but other folders still need to
be synced manually.

The possible solutions are:

1. Put everything into some sort of cron job (systemd timer?). This
looks the easiest, but would sync mail only <X> minutes.

2. Get rid of first mbsync, make it only poll INBOX, then index it every
time a new message comes. Feels a bit impractical to run `notmuch new`
for every message, since I'm not that proficient in mbsync settings.
Also I'm using NixOS and home-manager to keep most of the setup working,
so maybe there would be a little more or a lot less config tweaking.

This setup also has a problem of overloading my mail server, which can
possibly crash it since I keep it on my RPi. Folder moves could probably
be run only every <X> minutes, but that would require somehow rewriting
my hooks.

3. Get rid of folder-moving. Would need to get rid of mobile mail access
too... probably.

4. Transfer the setup to mail server. Would take more time, but I would
be able to move and index messages even when my laptop is unavailable.
Also would require setting up Nix (since my server runs on Gentoo).

And to maybe think of alternative solution, I ask you - what do you use
to seamlessly sync your mail?

P. S. Is signature traditionally inserted with -- or with ---? just
wondering...