tell me how to do this right (mail sent to lists)

Jeff Templon templon at nikhef.nl
Thu Oct 11 05:13:27 PDT 2018

Hi Martin,

Martin Jambor <mjambor at suse.cz> writes:

> Then the post-hook is executed, which in your case I presume runs afew
> somehow, and typically that hook goes over all messages with the tag
> new, process them in an arbitrary way, sometimes adding further tags
> according to the contents, and eventually drops the new tag.
>
> I guess a potential problem is that notmuch sees the message the first
> time when you send it and it adds the new tag and post-hook processes
> the outgoing version.  When it arrives back, I believe notmuch does not
> apply the new tag to it anymore.  This means that post-hook does not get
> to process the incoming version, which might be a problem if you want to
> see stuff added by a remote party, for example when you want to grep the
> file and look for Sender header in order to mark it as coming from a
> particular mailing list.

Thanks for your clarification, this is indeed what I meant when I said
that what happens is dependent on the order in which notmuch encounters
the message files / copies possessing the same messageID.

Rereading the afew documentation (not very clear) it hints at this
point:

   "SentMailFilter"

   It can be used for example to easily tag posts sent to mailing lists
   which at this stage don’t have List-Id field.

without making it explicit, unfortunately, that if you choose not to use
this, messages you send to the mailing list won't be tagged in the same
way as those received from others through the mailing list.

> Perhaps it would be a good idea to split the tags entry in [new] section
> into two, one for tags added to each previously unknown message-id
> (default would be unread and inbox) and a new one for each new file
> (default new)?

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that newly-detected
files always have their messageIDs tagged as "new" even if that
messageID has already been "seen"?  Maybe that solves my case here, I
guess it would depend on how the message files are fed from notmuch to
afew.

JT