Cutting down on unwanted emails using notmuch

Sat Sep 29 22:57:29 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

About a year ago I implemented a solution to cut down on unwanted
emails using notmuch. I wrote about it here:

http://blog.nawaz.org/posts/2018/Sep/solving-my-email-problem/

The tl;dr version: I use a whitelist approach. Any email from a
new address automatically gets a quarantine tag, and no inbox
tag. The sender gets an email asking to confirm their email
address. Once they do that, they get into a whitelist and all
their emails that have the quarantine tag are switched over to
having the inbox tag.

I have Emacs keybindings to:

1. Quarantine a person who got into my inbox and shouldn't have
(i.e. "-inbox +quarantine"). It also runs a script to remove them
from the whitelist.

2. Dequarantine: The exact opposite of the above.

Since it was built using notmuch, I thought you'd be interested.

--
Love is like Pi: Natural, irrational, and very important.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl