'notmuch search thread:<>' lists multiple threads

Naveen N. Rao naveen.n.rao at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 6 03:50:29 PDT 2018

David Bremner wrote:
> David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:
>
>> "Naveen N. Rao" <naveen.n.rao at linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
>>

>>> Were you able to look into this again?
>>> Using a list of in-reply-to values sounds like a good option, though I
>>> clearly have no idea about other consequences from that. If you have a
>>> patch, I can help test that.
>>>

>> Sorry I haven't made any progress on this. Thanks for the reminder.

> It's not much progress but I did manage to make a test case.
>
>      id:20180730224555.26047-16-david at tethera.net
>
> As it says in the commit message, its not 100% clear this is your
> problem, but it is a bug, and hopefully fixing it will help your issue.

Thanks for continuing to look into this!

The test is close to what I have -- the only difference in my case is
that the Message-ID and References: fields match in the duplicate mail
files, but just the In-reply-to headers differ (the gmane one has a
meaningless/incorrect, re-written header).

Interestingly though, I re-checked the thread I had the original problem
with and notmuch seems to be able to cope with it better now. So, some
other changes seem to have helped with my original problem. I will keep
an eye out to see if any other threads cause problems (I do occasionally
see astroid crash, but I haven't seen if it is due to this issue with
notmuch or a different problem).

  [09/06 16:19:19 ~]$ notmuch --version
  notmuch 0.27
  [09/06 16:19:20 ~]$ notmuch search --output=threads thread:00000000000c4d20
  thread:00000000000c4d20
  [09/06 16:19:22 ~]$ notmuch search --output=threads thread:00000000000c4d1e
  thread:00000000000c4d1e
  [09/06 16:19:26 ~]$ notmuch search --output=messages thread:00000000000c4d20
  id:20180813154910.lzrkd2ivdorge3ro at arbab-laptop.localdomain
  id:CAKTCnzngahex_sL2raoHFuXqTxgVV7a57R9YmcT1TN-ROsFXnw at mail.gmail.com
  id:CAOSf1CFy0im+H368Krr2QVteAumq58CRF_Kfatyv7wvj1n4AGw at mail.gmail.com
  id:20180405071500.22320-4-bsingharora at gmail.com
  id:20180405071500.22320-3-bsingharora at gmail.com
  id:20180405071500.22320-2-bsingharora at gmail.com
  id:20180405071500.22320-1-bsingharora at gmail.com
  [09/06 16:19:35 ~]$ notmuch search --output=messages thread:00000000000c4d1e
  id:CAKTCnzngahex_sL2raoHFuXqTxgVV7a57R9YmcT1TN-ROsFXnw at mail.gmail.com

- Naveen