Notmuch DB Problems

mueen at nawaz.org mueen at nawaz.org
Tue Sep 4 18:00:12 PDT 2018

Hi,

A few days ago I noticed notmuch new was no longer working (I have it
as a cron job so it took a while to figure it out).

It just freezes. I do have a Python hook, and it was freezing on the
line that opens the database.

I tried a notmuch dump. Same problem - freezes

Based on some earlier threads, I tried a notmuch compact. Same problem
- freezes.

All these freezes seem to use no memory/CPU.

Interestingly, queries work fine - from both the command line and the
Emacs interface. So I can read old stuff just fine. But all the
commands above cause a freeze.

Currently using notmuch-0.24.2. I tried notmuch-0.27 - same problem.

Results of a xapian check:

docdata:
blocksize=8K items=6 firstunused=3 revision=6442 levels=0 root=0
B-tree checked okay
docdata table structure checked OK

termlist:
blocksize=8K items=178562 firstunused=53441 revision=6442 levels=2
root=46086
/usr/bin/xapian-check: DatabaseError: 1 unused block(s) missing from
the free list, first is 0

What are my options? Unfortunately the last dump I have is many months
old, so I'm a bit wary of deleting the database and rebuilding. Given
that the show and search commands work, I was wondering if I can write
a script to get all the message/thread ID's for all the tags and store
them, and then rebuild the database and use that stored information to
retag all my messages (all without using the dump command)?

Thanks!

Mueen