cope with inline PGP encrypted messages

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed May 9 14:53:54 PDT 2018

On Tue 2017-12-12 01:15:48 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Inline PGP encrypted messages are clearly worse than PGP/MIME
> structured encrypted messages.  There are no standards for how they
> are formed, and they don't offer any structured metadata about how to
> interpret the bytestream produced by decrypting them.
>
> However, some other MUAs and end-user workflows may make creation of
> inline PGP encrypted messages the only available option for message
> encryption, and when Notmuch encounters such a message, it should make
> a reasonable best-effort to render the cleartext to the user.

Jamie Rollins points out that I need to think more about some of the
security implications of this patch series, so i'd prefer to withdraw it
from consideration for notmuch at the moment.  i'd say it's a WIP but
really not ready for general consumption.  Not sure how to best
represent that in nmbug -- but for now i've removed
notmuch::needs-review and added notmuch::wip.  bremner, let me know if
you think i should have done something different.

I do think that we need to come up with *some* way of letting people
read messages with inline PGP encrypted chunks in them safely.
Otherwise, notmuch users will resort to dirty tricks (because they want
to read the mail), and those dirty tricks will possibly be worse than
anything we come up with.

But higher-priority issues are drawing my attention right now, and i
don't want this series to distract from them.

      --dkg