Bug? notmuch-emacs: "All tags" in notmuch-hello does not show all tags

Gregor Zattler telegraph at gmx.net
Fri Apr 20 09:12:00 PDT 2018

Dear notmuch-emacs developers,

I use a certain tag which until now is only used with regards to
one single message which is also tagged "spam".  This certain tag
is among the output of notmuch search --output=tags '*'

The part of notmuch-hello which is supposed to show "All tags"
does not show this certain tag.  But it shows the certain tag with
count = 1 if I remove the tag "spam" from this message.  The same
happens if this message is tagged "deleted" instead of "spam".

My ~/.notmuch-config contains:

[search]
exclude_tags=deleted;spam;

The relevant section of my customzation.el contains:

 '(notmuch-hello-sections
   '(notmuch-hello-insert-search notmuch-hello-insert-saved-searches notmuch-hello-insert-recent-searches
                                 (notmuch-hello-insert-tags-section "All tags" :initially-hidden t nil nil)))

I can show the message in question with a search for
(is:spam OR NOT is:spam OR is:deleted OR NOT is:deleted) AND is:certaintag
notmuch-emacs then shows the single message and its tags.  Among
those is the certain tag.

I expected the certain tag to be shown in the notmuch-hello
section "All tags" and consider it a bug that this is not the case.

My guess is that somewhere in the code notmuch count is called
without --exclude=false.

Ciao; Gregor
--