'notmuch search thread:<>' lists multiple threads

Naveen N. Rao naveen.n.rao at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Apr 6 02:46:24 PDT 2018

Greetings--
If I search for threads matching a specific thread-id, I am seeing
multiple results:

$ notmuch search --output=threads thread:00000000000c4d20
thread:00000000000c4d1e
thread:00000000000c4d20

If I list the messages from both those threads, they do belong to the
same original mailing list thread. It isn't clear why notmuch is
assigning different thread IDs. Is that to be expected under some
scenarios?

Also, it is a bit weird to see multiple threads being listed when
searching for a specific thread ID. Again, is this something to be
expected?

- Naveen