New Python bindings (was: Crash with Python bindings)

Brian May brian at linuxpenguins.xyz
Wed Apr 4 15:37:54 PDT 2018

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

> That's not an itch I personally have, but as I said in the next
> paragraph, if someone want's to take on the project of maintaining a
> wheel, we'll render the same kind of assistance we give *BSD/Linux/MacOS
> package maintainers.  We're happy to look at (reasonable) things we can
> do to make downstream projects life easier.

Fair enough. No problem.

I am going to assume that the notmuch library is reasonable stable, and
backward incompatable changes are kept to a minimum with proper updating
of the shared library SONAME. If this is not the case, ignore the rest
of this email.

Ideally the python bindings should be in a git repository that is
separate from the C library. This means you don't have to release new
python bindings for every new source code release of notmuch. You only
need to make a new release if supporting new features or a new release
that breaks backword compatability. It also will make it easier to build
the python libraries standalone using the installed versions of the C
library, which I suspect might make pypi support a lot easier.

I might be able to get time to look at this sometime myself, if nobody
beats me to it.
--
Brian May <brian at linuxpenguins.xyz>
https://linuxpenguins.xyz/brian/