New Python bindings (was: Crash with Python bindings)

Brian May brian at linuxpenguins.xyz
Wed Mar 28 00:20:47 PDT 2018

Justus Winter <justus at sequoia-pgp.org> writes:

>> This is exactly what I have fixed in my alternative bindings which I
>> created around the end of last year [0].  So we do have an idea of how
>> to fix this, at the time I said I do believe that it's possible to also
>> do this for the existing bindings even though it is a lot of work.
>> After some talking between dkg and me we got to a way forward which
>> proposed this, but I must admit that after messing a little with getting
>> a pytest run integrated into the notmuch test-suite instead of using tox
>> I lost momentum on the project and didn't advance any further.
>
> I'm sorry that I didn't speak up when you announced your work.  I'm
> actually excited about a new set of bindings for Python.  I agree with
> using cffi.  I briefly looked at the code, and I believe it is much
> nicer than what we currently have.

I can into this thread late. However, my priorities for python bindings
would be:

* I don't care about anything less then Python 3.5.
* Reliable Python 3.6 support important.
* Packages should be available from pypi.python.org

I have found the current official bindings unreliable with Python 3.x,
and tend to cause aborts on exiting and/or fail to save updates. As
such, for now I have downgraded to Python 2.7 for now.
--
Brian May <brian at linuxpenguins.xyz>
https://linuxpenguins.xyz/brian/