Bug?: manpages are only readable by root when doing sudo make install with umask 077

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Jan 10 12:40:13 PST 2018

Hi Antoine--

On Wed 2018-01-10 19:29:59 +0100, Antoine Amarilli wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:23:03AM -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> That's right. Looking more closely I think the issue is only with the
> permissions of the directories /usr/local/share/man/man*, not the files
> that they contain. Of course this is still an obstacle for the manpages
> to be readable. So I guess the following in doc/Makefile.local (just
> above what you quoted):
>
>         mkdir -p "$(DESTDIR)$(mandir)/man1"
>         mkdir -p "$(DESTDIR)$(mandir)/man5"
>         mkdir -p "$(DESTDIR)$(mandir)/man7"
>
> does not override the umask. I suspect that the parameter -m0644 should
> be passed to these invocations too.

That sounds about right, though i think you want -m0755, since the
directories need the executable bit set to be traversable.

Would you try this out (probably have to remove the existing directories
first to test it, assuming that there's nothing there from anything
other than notmuch), and then send a patch directly to the mailing list?

thanks for your attention to detail here, it's the best way to make
things work for everyone in the future :)

       --dkg