Possible bug with named queries

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Wed Dec 13 16:10:50 PST 2017

Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> writes:

> But if running "notmuch config" to add a saved search stores some
> necessary data in the database, couldn't the same code be invoked when
> the file?

It could (with some complications, e.g. for users of libnotmuch). But
the version in the database can change via the libnotmuch API, which
presumably should be written to the config file. I'm not sure how that
would all work.

> We've gone out of our way to make the configuration file as useful as
> possible, (such as by maintaining comments in the file even when using a
> tool such as "notmuch config" to edit it). Let's please not throw out
> all the benefits by just saying that manually editing the configuration
> file is unreliable and people shouldn't do it.

Well, it's reliable if people read the (new) documentation
carefully. But obviously it's a bit surprising that some things are just
ignored in .notmuch-config. It should be possible to report warnings for
those items.

IIRC, one thing we (collectively) discussed and rejected is having a
seperate command to manipulate database resident configuration
information. That could still be done.