bounce/forward not working due to CR at line end

Kai Harries kai.harries at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 11:48:48 PST 2017

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

> Kai Harries <kai.harries at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:
>>
>>> During off-list discussion, Kai mentioned id:87a7zsm5ol.fsf at gmail.com as
>>> a message that he cannot bounce (and also not forward?). For me this
>>> forwards fine, but does not bounce because it has a corrupted Cc header,
>>> and my MTA rejects it.  That doesn't sound related to the original
>>> problem report (nothing about line endings).
>>
>> Can you please evaluate the following on your system:
>>
>>   (call-process "notmuch" nil t nil "show" "--format=raw" "id:87a7zsm5ol.fsf at gmail.com")
>>
>> If I do this on my system, then the text that is inserted into the
>> buffer has ^M (CR) at the line endings. Is this expected?
>
> No ^M line endings for me. Can you check the file on disk? Maybe "od -a"
> lacking a better idea.

`od -a` does also show that the lines are ending with 'cr' and 'nl'
this is correct according to RFC 2822 [1].

According to this [2] Emacs normally converts line endings to only 'nl'
(newline) when opening a DOS file. This works on my system, if I open the
file from disk no carriage-return (^M) is shown.

Not working is inserting the output of `notmuch show` into a buffer. If
I do this, then the carriage-return (^M) is shown.

David, I assume your system is also a Linux, does

  notmuch show --format=raw id:1472041345236.7014 at de.bosch.com | od -a

also show 'cr' and 'nl' as line ending?

If No, then my `notmuch show` behaves different.

If Yes, then my Emacs behaves different when inserting text with DOS
line endings into a buffer.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822#section-2.2
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/emacs.html#Coding-Systems