web interface to notmuch

Matthew Lear matt at bubblegen.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 14:32:39 PDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Brian Sniffen <bts at evenmere.org> wrote:

> > I'm no Python expert, but from a quick google it would seem like the
> cause
> > of such an exception is related to not using utf-8.
>
> Neat.  So to get there, this has to be a text/html part.  It has to have
> been decoded, either with the declared content type or with ascii.  If a
> \u201c (left double quote) showed up, it didn't get decoded as
> ascii---and indeed, it looks like the content-type specifies latin-1.
> But now when we try to encode back, using the same latin-1, it fails?
> That's really neat.
>
> > Brian - do you think something needs modifying in nmweb.py to cater for
> > this type of thing, or is this somehow related my own mailstore (not sure
> > why that would be as my messages haven't been modified).
>
> Lots of mail has busted encoding.  I've done some defensive work against
> that---look at decodeAnyway and shed a tear for purity---but clearly not
> enough.  Can you send me a message that causes the problem?

I'll need to fix up the text in the message because it's confidential. That
should be easy enough to do.
I'll send it to you once I've done that.

One other thing - it looks like accessing attachments should work, but I've
seen messages in my local set up here which have attachments shown, but
I've not been able to retrieve them.
Not sure what would cause that. Also some messages which are tagged as
having attachments, don't have them shown by nmweb.

FWIW this link (
https://nmweb.evenmere.org/show/CACMMjMLecmXopb8AATjE3UuCnNLOO%2B5Nmev5X8K-UostDEUdrQ%40mail.gmail.com)
has the tag attachment applied to the message, but there is no attachment
shown.  And another (
https://nmweb.evenmere.org/show/87d31artti.fsf%40inf-8657.int-evry.fr).

Maybe text/plain only emails are the ones which aren't problematic w.r.t.
having their attachments shown?
Cheers,
--  Matt